Thursday, April 24, 2014

Water tank #2 Delivered! July 15, 2013

Another successful water tank delivery has taken place, this time in the village of Ntungu. We hired a truck in Mbarara and filled it with the 5,000 liter water tank, the gutters, plywood and cement. We even had a little room left over, so we brought Auntie a blanket, the teachers soap and meat for the family I stay with! It was another beautiful trip to the village. The most simple things thrill these people. I took photos of some of the villagers last time, then printed them and returned with them this time. The hoots, hollers and laughs are priceless when they see the photo of themselves. Then I had a line of people, everyone and their brother wanted a "snap" taken of themselves, all hoping I'd bring them a copy.

Sunday was spent hauling stones with the kids to build the platform for the tank to sit on. It was a big procedure, carrying stones for the base from the other side of the hill, hauling water from over an hour away on bicycle just to mix the cement.  It is a beautiful platform though, it looks very sturdy and professional! The kids and I walked back and forth about a hundred times carrying stones on our heads, eventually they disappeared and I continued even though everyone insisted the muzungu must be tired. "Muzungu's are soft" I've been told more than once. They are always surprised to find that I can "manage" to work. I can dig in the garden, I can carry stones, I can wash dishes, all of these things surprise them. I explain that we do all these things at home, just a little differently. I explain that we wash dishes in a tub of water just like they do, but we stand up when we do it. They bend over at the waist and wash with their tub on the ground. When I suggested they find a stool and sit down I was told that was "a lazy mans way" of washing. It seems like it would save your back, but what do I know?! I tell them that big farms have tractors and machinery that do the digging for them, but many people have gardens and small fields that they plant, weed and harvest by hand, just like they do. Most of the time I don't think they believe me. They ask me if I'm "deceiving" them. "Muzungus are very strong." I smile and try to convince them as I continue carrying stones.

I went to a burial with the Momma of the household on Monday. They told me it was, "very near". As we set off at about 2 p.m. in the blazing sun they point to the home, just down this mountain, around the base of the next mountain and up the next ridge...."very close" I sarcastically agree. It was a beautiful walk though. Down in the shady banana plantations in the valley between the mountains, we crossed a small creek that I'm told most people in the area get their water from. When we got to the burial, there were so many people we couldn't even get into the compound. It was filled with hundreds of people sitting on the ground under big, tattered orange and blue tarps or pieces of canvas. We sit outside the compound in the shade. There are people everywhere, some of them must have walked for hours to get here. Like they do to fetch their water. We greet and shake hands with many of the people present, I play with the baby next to me. On our way home, Momma leads me up a different path, we stop at a relatives house and drink "porridge". Which is a fermented drink made from the sorghum plant. Everyone makes a different recipe and it is definitely an acquired taste. When I first arrived my face scrunched and my stomach turned at the warm, bitter and bubbly concoction but now it is lovely and I take two glasses knowing we'll be back in the hot sun soon. We sit in the tiled living room on comfortable couches as we drink. I am surprised to find such a posh home when we just walked through dusty fields, grazing goats, hungry kids, pigs tied to trees and past mud homes and little grass bathing shacks to get here.

The rest of the week passed much too quickly while reading books to the kids, singing songs under the big, shady tree and playing games with them. I ate more bananas than I ever thought was possible. When I walked past Aunties house to use the toilet on the first morning she stopped me on the way back with a steamy bowl of green bananas (matoke) and beans for breakfast. The next morning I was served cold Irish potatoes and hot tea for breakfast. For lunch it's posho and beans, for dinner it was potatoes and meat for everyone else, potatoes and beans for me please!

Teacher Olivier invited me to her home for dinner one evening, so we walked down the mountain again, stopping to greet and visit every villager between her home and the school. I'm surprised by her commute each day, but even more surprised when I realize that her two year old and four year old walk it with her each day. Everyone is happy to see me and even happier when I greet them in their local language. While I sit outside visiting with her husband, neighbors and kids we shell g-nuts and she cooks in the little outdoor kitchen. I'm offered sugar cane to chew on, it is a nice, sweet, and juicy treat, but my teeth haven't quiet mastered the task of peeling off the outside then biting through the tough fibers, so I take a very small piece. Keneth joins us as it gets dark. We go inside and Olivier serves us hot Irish potatoes with a delicious, salty fried cabbage on top. It is a very nice and tasty meal. When I ask her if she's going to join us, she says, "I'm busy!" And she goes back out to the kitchen. When she finally returns she has two little baskets with cone-shaped tops. They are warm and I'm afraid it's Karo, a gooey paste that's usually eaten with beans on top. When I open the cover I find g-nuts, the ones we just shelled, freshly roasted and salted! What a treat! They live in a mud home and have nothing more than the food they grow in their own garden, but we leave there with a plastic bag full of the roasted nuts, papaya's and sugar cane. I am humbled, again, and grateful for their kindness. They have so little, still they insist on sharing it.

Wednesday morning as we are getting ready to leave Keneth tells me, "go quickly to the playground...and bring your camera". I walk outside and find the younger kids standing in a circle, most of them in just their underpants. I ask teacher Olivier why they don't have their clothes on and she tells me, "It's P.E."! As if this explains everything. I say, "yes...but where are their clothes?" She tells me they check their bodies at P.E. "For what?" I ask. She tells me they are looking to see if they are clean and if they have any injuries. So after teaching them to walk like a crab and having wheelbarrow races I go inside and get my "jelly". It's like Vaseline, but nicer, and they use it like we use lotion. Some of them are very dry and scaly so they stand in a circle and I give them each a dab to smear on their legs, then they rub some on their neighbors backs. They are so sweet.

Finally, we hike down the mountain to the trading center, where we squeeze behind the driver onto a boda-boda. It's a Bonnie-Sandwich, by the time we get back to Mbarara we are covered in a fine, powdery dust like the plants along the road are. My mind is full of thoughts, I'm sad. It's hard leaving those kids. When I said I good-bye and I went to hug them or to pick up the little ones they didn't know how to hug. The stand with their arms stiff at their sides. When I try to pick them up they don't raise their arms, they keep them down and I have to wedge my hands under their arms so I can scoop them up. Keneth tells me it's normal and that they aren't used to it. He doesn't understand why it makes me sad." Life is different here, it's hard." He explains. Then he tells me that if kids here were treated like we treat our kids they wouldn't survive. I'm afraid he's right, this doesn't do much to cheer me up though. Maybe Muzungu's are "soft" after-all.

Since it's summer time and there are plenty of BBQ's, picnics and get-togethers, might I suggest, just for the fun of it, you try and squeeze eight people into your car next time you're hanging out. Four across the back and four in the front. That's right, the driver even shares his seat with someone. When you get everyone "comfortably" squeezed in and all four doors closed, just sit there for about two hours...just for fun....and see what you think. Then, go ahead and turn the heat on, leave the windows rolled up and be sure you throw in a goat or two, maybe a chicken and a crying baby. You'll understand why I enjoy staying put in Kisoro more and more!

Travel Safe and hug your lucky kids!

Love, Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment