Thursday, April 24, 2014

December 5, 2013


Hello Happy Harvesters!

I hope your Sheep Camps, Labor Day Parties and Grateful Harvest Celebrations were enjoyable, successful and productive. The schools are breaking for the holidays again and all the kids and teachers are heading home to harvest potatoes and celebrate Christmas with their families. “We will have meat and enjoy, and many family members will be together!” It sounds so similar to the holidays at home, food and family, the two greatest things, yet, of course, so very different and two different extremes. While crammed into a bus with my daypack stuffed and heavy with necessities sitting on my lap, I can’t help but notice the guy next to me, who isn’t carrying a single thing with him, not even in his pockets. Of course I need my sunblock, I don’t want to get burnt. And water, that’s an obvious one, but how does he go without? In the blazing heat, all day long, one meal in his stomach somewhere around 3 or 4 p.m. When it rains he gets wet and when it rains on me, I pull out my umbrella. I also have to carry my sunglasses, snacks, the camera and a sweater, when it rains it gets cold. I have my book and my notebook, when we sit for hours waiting for God-knows-what, I have my book to read or paper to take notes with, while everyone else just sits and watches the world go by. My neighbor sits next to me with a handkerchief in his pocket, if he’s lucky. I am envious of his empty lap, of his freedom to move. Sometimes I feel like a real schmuk, of course I loved the few occasions a kid walked with me under my umbrella, or that I was able to share my snacks with the kid next to me. The problem often is that I don’t have enough for everyone, so I can’t share with anyone.

Irish potatoes are the big harvest for us right now, so it’s what we have morning, noon and night! Usually boiled, but sometimes fat-wedged chips or, we even had them mashed a couple of times! Grasshoppers are also in season! They are sprawled out drying on tarps all over town, it’s not the taste of them that I mind, it’s more the smell! They are salty and crispy sautéed in their own oil and with a dash of salt, they’re pretty decent! There are elaborate “farms” that set up shop for the month to harvest them. A 55 gallon drum stands with a huge iron sheet standing up inside of it. Then, they run lights overhead and the shiny steel attracts them, they land on it, slide in the drum and are too “drunk” from the bright lights to fly out. These men spend the whole month, working overnights catching the insects and on a good night they can fill up to twenty feed sacks! They sell each sack for up to 150,000 shillings, almost $60. It is a lucrative, but temporary business, so lucrative in fact that someone was recently murdered for his full sack of grasshoppers!

I started working at a Government school a few weeks ago when I returned to Kisoro and it is a whole new ballgame; no porridge served, no lunch served, dirty uniforms, dirty kids and most of them are barefoot. It is not allowed to come to school without shoes at Amazing Grace. It is more than slightly intimidating to walk into a classroom with over one hundred and forty students in it. They tell me they want me to work with “only” about seventy of them during the holiday, to help them read better. I explain that that is just too many and that we won’t make an impact on any if we try to work with so many. But the teacher insists, she will keep them busy outside, while I work with small groups inside. Ah….luckily we have a small library to access thanks to all the wonderful packages that have been sent from you, my faithful friends! Two more boxes have just arrived from my generous and thoughtful friends in Hope, AK! They will read, read, read aloud to me...all seventy of them! Often when we finish a page I’ll ask a question about what we read, like, “how did the dog get wet?” And quite often the response will be something like, “Yes”. So…comprehension isn’t quite what it should be, but “buhoro-buhoro”= “slowly by slowly”!  At Amazing Grace, we are building shelves in the back of the office to house all the books that we’ve acquired to start our own library.

Alaska’s coming  to me, perhaps the Universe really does know exactly what I need, and exactly when I need it! My friend Haley, a co-worker at St. Elias Alpine Guides in McCarthy, AK arrives in Kisoro tomorrow and she’ll be here for a whole month! She is a photographer extrodiare’, a rugged and rustling outdoors woman and has the most cheerful and happy nature! The children are gonna love her! As if that isn’t exciting enough, two days after that Brita and her mom Karen arrive for one short night and assumingly one million short stories. I cannot wait to catch up with these women who are following  in the footsteps of Brita’s Grandmother through Eastern Africa. I wish I had more of the story to share, but I’ll find out soon! Haley will be volunteering and adventuring with me. She’ll teach First Aid classes to locals, she happens to be a pro at it and we’ll also work at the school, planting some trees and maybe even some real labor building a new toilet, a “brick shithouse” type!

Just as the rest of you are presumably feeling these days…time is flying by! I am thinking of you all, even you brand new ones who I haven’t even met yet! I am loving you too, enjoy the holidays and all the love you are surrounded by. Consider those without and those less fortunate than you. My sincere wishes for each of you is to feel blessed and to be happy!

Love and Light, 
                                                                                                 
Bonnie B.
                               
        “The most effective medicine here on earth is LOVE unconditional.”

                     “In about the same degree that you are helpful, you will be happy.” –Karl Reiland

No comments:

Post a Comment