Thursday, April 24, 2014

February 7, 2014

Another interesting and educational month has passed; I hope you all stayed warm and healthy! Things in Kisoro are back to normal, we had another “Hurricane Happy” strike. She left us for about two weeks and traveled through Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda around Lake Victoria and back to us in Kisoro for another week of amusement.

She taught a few more classes while she was here and when we went to our friend Paul’s village just before starting her Sexual Health class, a cousin of Paul’s asks, “So, what is the class about?” She tells him, “It’s about sexual health, STD’s and contraception.” His response is, “No, nothing about contraception, my mother isn’t home right now, but she’s a Catholic and she wouldn’t approve of contraception being taught at her home.” So, as I choke on my tongue Happy, hesitantly, but happily agrees not to talk about contraception. I gaze around at the clusters and clusters of hungry kids and am startled by how complicated and contradictory Religion can be. How can we not encourage desperate people to prevent another pregnancy which may be either dangerous to the mother’s health or perilous to the child’s welfare? A woman dying of childbirth is too common in Uganda. The lifetime risk of a woman dying from childbirth is one in thirty-five, that number increasing as the number of births increase, not to mention the quality of life decreasing for each family member as the family grows. The rain comes and we all squeeze into the small house, the little wooden shutters on the one square window in the house are flung open for light and Happy begins her schpeel. Of course, it’s a much shorter class without the contraception information, but thanks to Mukaka (Grandmother) it lasts just as long. Mukaka is so ecstatic about the muzungu’s being there that she just can’t stop talking! She is constantly interrupting Happy, even standing and pointing, cracking herself up at some mysterious joke! Of course, she doesn’t speak English, so she doesn’t understand any of what Happy is saying and she isn’t listening enough to hear it from the interpreter. When Mukaka stands and wants to leave half-way through the class, the cousin tries to stop her. I look at him and ask him, “What are you doing?” He tells me, “She wants to leave, but I told her to wait.” “No, no, no…” I tell him. “Let her go, she is making it very difficult to teach by interrupting!” “Oh!” He says and tells Mukaka she can go and she happily wobbles her way through the dozens of children and few adults there. Happy and I look at each other with the same astonished look we’ve given each other countless times and smile. Of all the things I’ve enjoyed about having Happy here, this is probably my favorite, having someone to share those, “Oh My God!”, or “Can you believe this?!” moments with! That and the hysterical laughter, I miss that too!

I’ve moved out of the Reverend’s House and am renting a small room in town. It was time for some space and some privacy, something most Ugandan’s don’t seem to be aware of. Even now as I sit and type this people will freely come up behind me and openly read what I’m writing or they’ll pick up my notebook, open it and start reading! Didn’t even realize quite how unique and coveted privacy is! Many people grow up in a room like mine, a 12x12 square, cement room for a whole family. Often they hang a curtain across the center of it to separate the bed from the sitting room. A family of sometimes five or six people all sleeping together in that space, the neighbors share the same compound, bathing room and toilet. Usually these rooms are built in two long rows facing each other with a gate for security at one end and the small courtyard in between the only “yard” any of them have, which is where they cook and do their washing. The shared toilets and bathing space are a series of four or five small closet-like rooms with either a squat toilet or a drain for bathing. Everyone knows everyone's business! I can hear the neighbor’s music when he wakes up, I can hear his conversations when he has company and I can hear the whole compound arguing on Saturday morning when the electricity bill is due and we all have to pay our share. This has been a whole new experience renting a room in town. At the Reverend’s house when we ran out of water, it hardly affected me; the maids went to fetch water. When the power was out, they would heat my bathing water on the fire and even light candles for me to see! Now, when a water pipe breaks or the water mysteriously stops flowing for three days, it is me carrying my jerri-can to Amazing Grace to fetch water from the tank or bathing with cold water when the power is out. It is a more accurate experience of African Life, and it’s nice to take care of myself. The maids felt more like servants to me and that was the hardest part about living there. That and eating dinner at 10 or 11 p.m., now I can eat at a more reasonable hour and go to bed! It feels good to do things for myself, including washing my clothes, which everyone insists I “can’t manage” but I assure you, I can manage! No matter how much they shake their head and insist I’m doing it wrong, no matter how much they ask about our washing machines and I explain them, I continue washing my clothes in my little basin and they are clean.ish by the time I’m done!

On top of that new adventure I’ve also strangely become the “consultant” for a local hotel/restaurant/bar. This new job of mine has possibly taught me more in the past month than all of the last year has taught me, or at least I’m happy I’ve had the past year of experience in African culture to prepare myself for this! There are so many things that boggle my mind and amaze me, it is difficult for me to take the job very seriously! Beginning with the pay these people get. How can I expect them not to sit around and watch the t.v. all day when they are getting paid less than $2. per day to be here six or seven days a week from 7 a.m. until 11p.m. or maybe even midnight if there are customers? They usually get one day off each week, but many of them live at the hotel so it’s spent here anyway and they certainly don’t have money to go do anything on their day off. The owner of the hotel lives in Kampala and when he hired me, then went back to Kampala one of my first assignments was to fire the majority of the staff, there simply isn’t enough work for all seventeen of them, so he wanted me to weed them down to seven! I waited until the end of the month, paid them all, then sent most of them on their way. It went surprisingly smooth, when he was here he told them he was cutting back the staff and I reminded them throughout the month. The real problem came when the owner came back last week-end, he flew to Kisoro with a group of business men whom he was discussing major renovations and marketing the hotel with. These business men own a very high class hotel in Bwindi forest, where tourists go to see the gorillas. The first night they spent at “Cloud Hotel”, where a room goes for $900 USD per night!!! Bill Gates has reportedly stayed here multiple times, so that’s the time of clientele they are attracting. The second night they spent here, at “Kisoro Tourist Hotel” which attracts a much different type of client! It's a nice enough place but needs some work and some marketing, we have bad comments on Trip Advisor from previous staff and management. I am trying hard to replace them with better comments and working at training the staff on customer service and cleanliness. Despite the fact that the owner says he will come this week-end and fire the remaining staff and start fresh! So, while these high rollers were staying here, helping the owner with ideas and improvements they stayed up until 2 a.m. drinking whiskey and discussing, as you do...when they finally went to bed, one of the two white men went to bed, closed his door, but did not lock it. He woke up in the morning to his laptop, camera, blackberry, backpack, his 3 million Ugandan shillings and his 6 thousand USD stolen! Oooooh….not a good day! After filing a police report they immediately flew back to Kampala. Later that day, after bailing the receptionist out of jail and firing a few more people, we still don’t know who committed the theft but the new manager is threatening to quit because the owner is insisting we fire the one woman who actually works around here. Judith is the server, but she runs the show, she opens the place, and closes the doors at night, and does everything in between. Whether it’s 2 a.m. or 10 p.m. she is always the last man standing and does a great job at it. The irreplaceable must be replaced. Wheeeew, I need a drink just writing about it!

For those of you that are concerned I’m never coming home…no such luck! In March I will renew my visa one last time for another three months, which means I should be home just in time for a nice Minnesota summer!

Nothing but love,

Bonnie B.

                   "Life is nothing more than a stream of experiences
                                 - the more widely and deeply you swim in it, the richer your life will be."
                                                                                                   ~Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

No comments:

Post a Comment