Thursday, April 24, 2014

Until Next Time Uganda March 10, 2014

Hello again Friends!

I hope this e-mail finds you warm and healthy! February has been a month filled with helping friends. It has also been hot and dry with a couple hours of heavy downpour about once a week, then a stretch of hot sunny days while we patiently wait for the relief of the rain again.

Thanks again to more of you, my amazingly generous and compassionate friends, family and fans we have recently sent two guys to get their driver’s license, so that they can ideally acquire jobs as truck drivers. When Peter, Paul and I hopped on the big post bus at 5:30 a.m. and it slowly started winding its way up the mountain switchbacks Peter mumbled, “It’s like a moving house!” Only then did I realize that he had never been on a bus before, which of course meant that he’d never been out of Kisoro before, never been to the city before. So, needless to say, we had some “Crocodile Dundee” moments when we reached the big city of Mbarara. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the boys in the supermarket, in awe of how many items there were on the shelves, even though the escalator wasn’t working, it was just as amazing to Peter, the concept of what it does left him shaking his head in disbelief and a big smile across his face. Crossing the street the first time was also amusing, but the best was when we sat down for dinner, not only did we have pork to eat but they also had a television outside with the football game playing…oh city life was fun!

We have also helped pay for a double surgery for sweet, little five year old Tracey. When she was recently vaccinated for Polio, two days later she couldn’t walk. Either the vaccine was bad, or for some reason she reacted badly to it, we’ll never know exactly what happened and of course her parents had no idea what was happening or how to help her. As is the African way her father asked everyone he knew to help him pay for the trip to Kampala and the first surgery so she could walk again. Little did they know it would take breaking her leg and a second surgery, each one costing 600,000 Shillings/ $240. USD.  Impressed as I was by his efforts to “find” the money, we ended up paying 500,000 toward the two surgeries. Julia is walking with a walker now, she arrives home tomorrow and I’ve been invited as “guest of honor” to welcome her home…but isn’t she the guest of honor?! They are a beautiful family and it was so nice to be welcomed into their humble little home by the entire village!

I am dreaming of ham and deviled eggs, stuffing and dumplings fried in butter and onions. Isn’t there something just amazing about the smell of butter and onions in a cast iron skillet? I shamelessly dream of pizza with white sauce, chicken, garlic and broccoli, spinach salad with vinaigrette dressing, pans of my sister’s gooey and delicious, sweet dessert bars. So, I’m having some food fantasies, what can I say? My stomach has always made the major decisions in my life! My warning to you is this; beware, you never know who may show up on your doorstep for Easter dinner!

After much debating, deliberation and hassle with trying to purchase a flight from here, turns out it is next to impossible to do unless you’re in the city and can go into the airline office, I am flying to Malaysia soon, where I’ll spend some quality time with Graciela’s mom and dad at their home in Kuala Lumpur. Debriefing on the past fourteen months, relaxing, possibly drinking some nice red wine and attempting to transition to life on the other side of the globe before continuing the long journey back to North America should keep us quite busy!!

Little arms that wrap around my legs while walking by or a little one running toward me with arms outstretched, as if they are my best friend is what I will soon be dreaming of. I will miss scooping them up hearing their giggles as I spin them around. Even the shouts of “Hello Muzungu” from the bushes no matter where I am, I will soon be longing for those voices when I am running down a country road in Minnesota, just me and my dog in the silence I so desperately desire right now. Oh Uganda, I will be back for your fresh fruit juice, for your forty cent pineapples and fifteen cent avocados. I will return for your leisurely pace of life, the steady strength of your people and the sheer excitement that comes across a locals face when they are greeted in their mother-tongue by a muzungu. Of course, there’s things I won’t miss also, for example as I sit and type this I have to quickly stop and yank down my drawers to find the flea that I can feel tickling my leg as it crawls around biting me! I will pray for my girls, Zamah, Christine, Faith and Esther, who have all now advanced to fourth grade. We have made progress, Christine is reading, but still very far behind. The teacher wanted her to repeat third grade, but she insisted she could do fourth and she is struggling. She and Zamah both live at school now, where they are sure to have food, they spend more time in class speaking English and with their teachers as role models, which is a better influence than they get at home. Zamah is excelling, getting brighter by the minute! Bridget, the sweet little one who can’t speak, she nor her sister came back to school after the Dec./Jan. holiday. I will pray for Bridget and hope her vocabulary is growing. She didn’t use or pick up many signs, but by the teacher repeating the words that were signed over and over again, she started repeating them, like a one-syllable parrot! Wilson is happily settled, dry and warm in his beautiful home, his feet have improved dramatically, the schools are gladly tapping their tanks every single day. We have improved lives, and as our old friend Ronald Reagan said,

               We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”

Indeed we have. My gratitude is endless toward you, my personal support group and the innumerable number of incredible people in my life. The day I was born, I won the lottery. 100% winner. Thank you personally and genuinely for joining me on this epic journey, your faith, support and love have been my strength in so many ways. This Ugandan journey, of course, is not over; in fact I hope it is just beginning. I intend to continue raising funds through schools, through writing, through slideshows and presentations, through speaking to everyone and anyone who wants to hear it. The amazing strength and beauty found here is my model for persevering and for continuing to help those whose lottery was not as fortunate as mine, simple circumstances. I will be back to Resilient Uganda, because I have health, I have opportunity, I have resources and most importantly, because I have you and I have love, lots and lots of love…100% winner! So, it is not good-bye, but until next time Uganda!

With Gratitude and never ending love,

Bonnie B.                                                                                                            

              “The most effective medicine here on earth is LOVE unconditional.”
  “In about the same degree that you are helpful, you will be happy.” –Karl Reiland
                                     “My Religion is Love” –Anthony Douglas Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment