Thursday, April 24, 2014

Hi Again~Wilson and his new home! Sept. 18, 2013

Hi again!

Just a fast hello to each of you and a quick update on Wilson and his new home! My plans to leave Kisoro changed when I sent out a call to you, my generous and loving friends for help, and you again responded so kindly and promptly. The rainy season has arrived in Uganda again and I couldn’t make him wait until October for a decent home, so I am still in Kisoro. We started construction soon after I sent that e-mail and progress has been remarkably fast. Attached are a few photos of the many trips to the village to bring supplies and to check on the progress of the building. Well, it is a few photos if you consider the hundreds of photos I’ve taken of the project! The entire community is grateful to us for helping this Muzae (old man). The two loads of stone and three loads of sand were carried by local women from the truck, up the path to the compound. When I paid the ladies the 50,000 Shillings ($20. USD) for each load that we agreed on, then actually counted the number of women and kids who were carrying, it was about $1. per person per load. The stones were carried in one day, but the sand took a couple of days for each load. They accepted the work and were grateful for an opportunity to make money. I’ve taken soap for the ladies to wash clothes with and books to read to the children, and of course my slew of children’s songs to sing with them.  I am happily greeted by dozens of people every time I arrive. It is an amazing feeling, a feeling I wish more than anything that I could share with you, but this computer is only capable of so much!

There is another reason I wasn’t meant to leave Kisoro yet. The new term started on Monday. Tuesday morning the director told me Christine had come on Monday evening and told him that all her clothes and bedding had been stolen from her. He sent her home to get the two dresses she said she had remaining and told her to come back that night; we would figure out what to do in the morning. Tuesday morning when I realized she wasn’t in class, I went to the Director and asked him if we could go to her home, I had a feeling something wasn’t right. I had also seen her brother in town the day before and with his limited English and strange personality, he told me something like, “Christine is stubborn. She doesn’t cook. I’ll come to school and tell the director to beat her.” I brushed him off and walked away. The director agreed that something wasn’t right and we went directly to her home. We found her mother and oldest brother, who lives next door there. After some confusion and translating we discovered that two of Christine’s brothers ‘chased’ her from her home a few nights earlier. They came home drunk and were beating her, so she ran away in the night. The oldest brother walked us to where they guessed she was, all the while telling us that his mother and brothers take too much alcohol and can’t be trusted. He also indulged us with stories about how he and his wife didn’t drink because of the constant fighting and yelling from his family while they were drunk. When we found Christine at her cousins, the cousin told us the whole story, or supposedly the whole story. I’m not sure what to believe anymore, but my guess is that it was the brothers who stole Christine's belongings. When Christine came in the room wearing dirty rags, she didn’t look any of us in the eye, but she shook my hand, then sat down on the wooden bench next to me. While the cousin, the director and the handful of other men that showed up discussed the details of the situation, I leaned down and asked Christine, “Do you want to go to school?” She shook her head no and said, “I don’t have shoes.”  I told her, “Don’t worry, we can get you shoes and blankets. Do you want to go to school?” Then she said, “Yes”. She went to the back of the house and came out in another dirty dress, a plastic shopping bag with a knot tied in the bottom to keep her few possessions from falling out of the bottom. She walked along barefoot, answering the many questions the director and I had on our way back to school. We got more disturbing and terrible stories about her family life, including the fact that the oldest brother who walked us there does drink and he beats his wife. He has even beat his own mother. She told us her family eats once a day and has gone for four days without eating during this holiday. After she bathed at school, I walked her to town and we bought her shoes, school books, underwear, a school bag, socks, and a basin for bathing, soap, a case to keep her new belongings in and bed sheets and a blanket. Most of which I had purchased for her before, but it was all stolen. After that, we went to the Potter’s Village and talked to the Social Worker and the Medical Doctor. Christine isn’t admitting to any sexual assaults, but the Social worker is planning to visit the family. She is safe at school for  the next three months and what I’m hoping the social worker can manage to arrange is for her to go back to her cousins home during the next holiday…and forever more. As if life isn’t hard enough here, between hunger and dreadful living situations, then to have drunken older brothers beating you for not cooking, when there is no food in the house to cook. What a “holiday” for Christine. The one thing, of all the things we bought for Christine, that got a smile and even a HUG from her...was the loaf of bread I brought her at school today.

Rain is pounding on the tin roof now, classes even cease because teachers shouting at the top of their lungs cannot be heard with the rain pummeling the tin roof.  I see children jumping around with mouths moving, but no sound coming out of them. I can also see the water tank filling!

So maybe it wasn’t such a “quick hello” but I tried to keep it short this time!

Love and kindness,
Bonnie
                   “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others.
                                          And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.”                 –Dali Lama

No comments:

Post a Comment