Monday, April 13, 2015

Water Tank Dedication

Hi Everyone,                                                                      29 March 2015
I hope you are all well. Another week has passed, another Saturday in Uganda and I find myself amazed at the monotony of life for a Ugandan. When I ask the teachers what they will do this week end, they tell me, “my washing”. When I ask what they did last night, “nothing, went home and cooked food, then slept.” No wonder a muzungu running by is such an excitement; you don’t see that every day! With my white legs sticking out of my running shorts the other morning, someone told me, “You are naked”! Cooking is an unbelievably time consuming task. First, to collect the firewood and the water needed, then to start the fire, clean and peel the potatoes or the matoke (a green banana, similar to plantain), or cook the rice. They often have the “soup” cooked earlier in the day. The “soup” is usually beans; whatever sauce you are putting over your starch is referred to as the soup. It is not uncommon to eat lunch at 3 or 4 in the afternoon; often this is their only meal. If you are fortunate enough to have an evening meal, it’s normal to eat dinner at 10, or even 11 p.m. That was one of the most difficult things for me to adapt to when I was living with a family. That and the way they treat their maid or house boy or house girl, whatever name you want to give to the servant, which is how they are treated, as if they are of a lower class. It became increasingly hard to stand by and watch as the young girl who was raising the children as if they were her own was lied to and made to feel guilty of the school fees the family was paying for her, as if she wasn’t earning those school fees!
I am treating myself to a $4. lunch today at a tourist café instead of my usual $.75 lunch of rice and beans ($1.20 if you count the avocado I normally bring with me to top it off).  I am indulging in a bacon wrap and a proper salad with avocadoes, tomatoes, cucumbers and actual green, leafy, lettuce! Wow, bacon and a real salad in the same day, lucky, lucky me! Usually salad here is shredded cabbage and carrots.
Uganda is approximately the same size as the state of Oregon. Oregon’s population is around 3.8 million people. Uganda’s population is now approaching 34 million!! It is estimated that the population will double in the next twenty years! Of course, if this is true and the population actually reaches 70 million all but the wealthiest of Ugandans will be starving. They already struggle for enough land to grow the necessary crops to feed their families. Between the bible telling them to, “Go forth and multiply” and their culture of believing that children are your riches and the culture of not planning ahead for anything, how can they possibly grasp the importance of producing fewer children? It is not only vital for their survival but is a necessity for a healthier life, stronger children and the chance of more children surviving into adulthood. Today my neighbor tells me that her “cousin sister” passed away. They refer to their cousins as their sisters because they are such close families and often grow up if not in the same home, then at least in the same compound. I asked what she died from and she tells me they don’t know, “she got sick, they took her to the hospital and she died”. I assumed the cousin is my neighbor’s age, upper twenties or maybe early thirties. I ask the age and she tells me, “She was seven years”. So, this seven year old girl dies, and there is no explanation, no one knows why or how she died. There will be no autopsy, no answers for the family. For that reason alone, the message we painted on the water tank was worth every bit of the $32. for the paint and the labor.
                                   A Small Family = Better Life
On Friday afternoon we met with the village chairman, the church and some community members to sign an agreement and officially open the tank. We sat on wooden benches in the shade and five different people spoke, including me. They laughed and clapped when I explained that I sold the paper beads to raise the money to build them this tank. This was one of those moments that make it all worth it. They thanked me over and over again and the Head of the Church praised God, who “gave me this talent of loving them.” Their gratitude and kind words were really moving and I wish you all could have been there!
On behalf of the village, I thank each of you for your support and your generous hearts. I’m amazed by what we can do to help others by spreading our blessings. Every little bit helps and every little bit makes these great projects happen.

Until next week,
Gratitude, Blessings and Love to all,

Bonnie

             "We rise by lifting others"  -Robert Ingersoll

  Photos are: Dedicating the water tank, Busy and colorful Bunagana Market, Toothbrushes for the students=Happy students!!    



If you'd like to donate to Resilient Uganda please choose from one of the following:

For a tax deductible donation:

Send a check payable to H.E.L.P. (our partner organization) to:

H.E.L.P.
1041 S County Rd 3
Johnstown CO 80534

Please include a note (separate from the check) indicating that the funds are for Resilient Uganda and then let me know you need a receipt and the tax i.d. number and I will e-mail it to you!

For a non-taxable donation:

Send a check payable to Bonnie Bzdok to:

Bzdok's
9161 Great River Rd
Little Falls MN 56345

or

Visit our website: https://resilientuganda.webs.com and donate through our paypal account.

Thank you so much, your donation will go directly to improving the lives of Ugandans and building projects of empowerment.
Wacozey Chaney!  (Thank you very much!)

No comments:

Post a Comment