Sunday, April 19, 2015

Good morning from Uganda!

Hello Friends!                
Living without money has been living more like a local than I prefer! No money on Monday was alright, but by the time Friday came, I was getting hungry! Just kidding mom! Good times with the ATM machine lately! After communicating with my bank at home and deciding it was the machine here that was the problem, Didas and I jumped on the motor bike and drove the two hours to Kabale to use the ATM machine there. Of course we also went with bags hoping to supply the hotels there with our lovely crafts, but we found them already stocked with very well done crafts similar to ours but unfortunately better! I even had to buy a few things for “patterns” for our ladies! Maybe these patterns will give us a new standard to strive for? Didas and I had a great day though, we visited the hotels at beautiful Lake Bunyonyi, which he has never been to, a few sprinkles blessed us on the way, but the rain held off, it was a cold trip home but we got the money and now I wonder if we’ll have to drive to Kabale every time I need cash?!

The hotels in Kisoro are stocked with Resilient Uganda bags, skirts, pillows and baskets. We also have a Craft shop in town. A friend Benja has a store that he sells mobile phones and mobile money out of; mobile money is the African version of check writing I guess. Many people don’t have a bank account, so they transfer money to their friends or their family using their mobile phone. The sender goes into a mobile money shop and pays the money, when you receive a notification on your phone that you have received money, the receiver also goes into a mobile money shop (there are many!) with the security code that came with the message and they give you the money. So we painted in big, zebra letters “CRAFTS” on the building and now Benja and his sister Cossy, also sell Resilient Uganda crafts, which will hopefully help them pay rent.  He sold a skirt on the first day; I think it’s a good omen! Just like the hotels, he keeps 10% of everything he sells.

The end of the school term for students here means big exams for everyone! Everything rests on these scores and each student is ranked, compared to the rest of the class. When I started working with Zamah in P3 she was at the bottom of her class, around number 30. Now, in P5 she is second in her class!!! What a little scholar! Zamah, Esther, Faith, Shiba and Christine all live near the school, and from time to time I visit them at their homes especially during their three week break between terms. While visiting Esther at her home a couple of weeks ago her Grandmother gave me a hen! Talk about being speechless, what a gift! I really didn’t know what to say, I can positively say I’ve never been given a hen before!! I asked Esther what we should name it and she thought for a second, and then replied, “Savior”. A powerful name I hope the poor hen can live up to! Of course I can’t keep Savior in my room so she stays at their house and I go to visit her (and Esther!). So far no eggs, but one of these days Savior will produce I am promised by Esther’s Aunt.
Just three and a half weeks and I’ll be heading home already! Time is flying and I feel like we still have so much to do here! Small water tanks for some individuals, homes and compounds are up and coming! Resilient Uganda is oh.so.close to being registered as a Community Based Organization. Sam has been busy getting signatures from every village Chairman, Sub county Chief and District Officer in Kisoro, each of course for a price. When it’s all said and done, I think the $20. job will be closer to a hundred dollars! Corruption is such a peculiar thing, if you want someone to do their job, something done in a timely manner, or even someone to sign a piece of paper for a purpose that will benefit their community, apparently you have pay for it!
There is a “High Tea” fundraiser for Resilient Uganda in Little Falls today! Months after I presented to the members of Faith Lutheran Church, they are holding a fundraiser and supporting Resilient Uganda and our mission here! Amazing and wonderful! Another exceptional example of all the outstanding people in the world, who want to help, who want to spread their blessings and who want to make a difference in the world.  I only wish I could be there! Thank you all for your efforts, your time and your incredibly kind hearts!
Nothing but Love,
Bonnie
Top 10 Words of Wisdom By Gandhi

1. Be the Change you wish to see in the world

2. What you think you become

3. Where there is love there is life

4. Learn as if you'll live forever

5. Your health is your real wealth

6. Have a sense of humor

7. your life is your message

8. Action expresses priorities

9. Our greatness is being able to remake ours 

10. Find yourself in the service of others


If you'd like to donate to Resilient Uganda please choose from one of the following:

For a tax deductible donation:

Send a check payable to H.E.L.P. (our partner organization) to:

H.E.L.P.
1041 S County Rd 3
Johnstown CO 80534

Please include a note (separate from the check) indicating that the funds are for Resilient Uganda and then let me know you need a receipt and the tax i.d. number and I will e-mail it to you!
For a non-taxable donation:
Send a check payable to Bonnie Bzdok to:
Bzdok's
9161 Great River Rd
Little Falls MN 56345
or
Visit our website: https://resilientuganda.webs.com and donate through our paypal account.
Thank you so much, your donation will go directly to improving the lives of Ugandans and building projects of empowerment.
Wacozey Chaney!  (Thank you very much!)
                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment